Encryption is a key aspect of data security, especially when it comes to sensitive information. Microsoft 365 (M365) provides several options for encrypting data to protect it from unauthorized access. This guide will walk you through the steps of setting up encryption for data in M365.
- Sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center using your admin credentials.
- In the navigation pane, select Security & Compliance.
- Select the Data Governance tab and then select Encryption.
- Select the type of encryption you want to set up: Office 365 Message Encryption, Azure Information Protection, or both.
- For Office 365 Message Encryption, you can choose to encrypt all outgoing email or only email sent to specific domains.
- For Azure Information Protection, you can classify and label data, and then set up policies to automatically encrypt data based on its classification and labels.
- Configure the settings for the encryption method you chose. This may include setting up encryption keys, defining encryption policies, and configuring access controls.
- Test the encryption settings to ensure that they are working as intended.
- Once the encryption settings are configured, they will automatically be applied to all relevant data in M365, providing an extra layer of security to protect your organization's data.
In summary, protecting data with encryption in M365 involves selecting the type of encryption to use, configuring the settings, and testing the encryption. M365 provides multiple options for data encryption to ensure a high level of security for your organization's data.